Here's a little update on our new sweet little baby! (Finally! :))
Birth Story
I'll try to make this long story short...So on tuesday the 19th I was scheduled to be induced because a couple days earlier at my 37 week apt I was 4 cm and 90% effaced. Over the weekend I felt like nothing was even happening so I didn't really want to rush into an induction (because we all know they are easier inside and out no matter how uncomfortable I was). So before going to the hospital I had decided I wanted to be checked first and if I hadn't made any progress I wanted to wait a couple more days. It turned out I was still a 4 and the Dr said it was my decision to go in or wait, I decided to wait. I didn't want another NICU baby and I was still only 38 weeks. So we headed back home and enjoyed the rest of our day together. Then went to bed, with no uncomfotableness and didn't seem like anything was going to happen labor wise. Then at 1 am I was abruptly woken up by the most painful contraction I'd had so far and I remember thinking, ok that hurt. So I got up to go to the bathroom and move around to see if it would happen again...then by the time I made it to the bathroom I had another one, all in the back of course.... I waited about another 4 minutes had another good contraction and knew I was in very active labor. I got chantz up who thought I was joking, called him mom and then our neighbor and friend Karie because I knew we couldn't wait the 10 min for his mom to get to our house. Luckily everything was totally packed so we grabbed the bags and left. It takes about an hour to get to Rexburg from Driggs but we hauled butt and made it in about 35 min. Once we had gotten in the truck though my contractions were already about 2 to 3 minutes apart so they were coming fast and I knew we needed to get there fast! I'll be honest I actually liked being in labor in the truck, it was distracting and I had the air blasting on my which helped. So we finally made it and I felt ok to walk in and walk to be checked into our room. The contractions had eased up a bit so I was talking and walking so they just casually got my cute gown :) and then I laid down to be checked. As she is about to check she says she thinks I'm about a 6 then stops and says um you are a 10! oh and you can't have any drugs now ! :) I have always wanted to try and do it naturally but I thought I would atleast have the option to opt out if I wanted, but not option this time. So walking around helped my back labor so after she checked me I got back up out of bed to walk around until the Dr got there. Then I wouldn't get back in bed :) I was kind of thowing a fit and I think I had to mentally prepare myself to actually have a baby. So I walked around for another 45 minutes. :) Yes I could have had a baby already but no I had to be a pain and ask a lot of dumb questions like "how bad is this gonna hurt" and "how much do you think he weighs" they actually thought I was quite hysterical being that I was able to be so mobile and talkative at a full out 10 and ready to have a baby. My water hadn't broken yet and I hadn't had any urge to push so that is probably why I was still ok. But finally I laid down to let them break my water and get the delivery over with. After they broke my water the contractions totally stopped for a couple minutes which was weird, but then they started up again but I still really didn't have an urge to push I just had to push. The weirdest thing was I didn't feel anything while I was pushing, no pressure no movement nothing! I kept asking, if I was even doing anything but they said he was coming right down the canal. But then he stopped moving for a couple pushes and we found out he was posterior, supposedly a very difficult way to push him out so the Dr got the little vacuum suction cup thing to help pull him down. So the next contraction he started pulling while I was pushing, ok that is when I felt him....they don't call it the ring of fire for anything!! The contraction stopped right while his head was almost out which was probably the worst part, it just sat there and I was yelling get it out get it out!! Finally the next contraction his head came out, then his body and my little Craig was born!! I had given birth! With no drugs! I had heard you feel you can do anything after that because you get the highest high ever from the release of all the oxytocine I think it is, anyway you really do feel like you can do anything! It was such a rush and I felt so accomplished. Just that was worth doing it naturally which may sound crazy to some people but it really was amazing. Then the fact that I wasn't delirious on drugs was so nice too! as amazing as the epidural was with Whitley, I was pretty naucious and it took like 6 hours to even be able to feel my legs and start getting out of my system. And I really do feel like I healed and recovered so much better this time around because it was natural. Anyway, everything went great, I love that he came on his own and everything with him was good and he was healthy!
Craig Edward Calderwood
6 lbs 5 oz 18 inches
July 20th, 3:16 AM
Newborn Pics taken at 4 days old
3 Weeks old
My family came to visit for 2 weeks we were able to get out a little bit and we went on a hike up Teton Canyon, go to the Teton Valley Fair, Horseback riding, a trip to rexburg and we hit up the snow cone place in Driggs a bunch too!
1 month old
Now that it's been 6 weeks today, it feels like it's gone so much faster than last time, even though the days feel slow sometimes as well. he has been a great nurser right from the first time which has been SO nice after having a really bad nurser. he is pretty laid back and calm and a good sleeper and has always given be a longer stretch of sleep at night since we brought him home. I am so looking forward to him sleeping through the night though! He has also been much better at putting on weight than my other stubborn child :) He was almost 8 lbs at 3 weeks so I'm sure by 2 months he will be 9 or 10 lbs which is so crazy to me! I feel like we are getting on a schedule so things are getting easier and really the hardest part of this baby has been having another kid and the tantrums she has loved throwing lately. Oh and we switched her to a big bed and potty trained her all at the same time (stupidest thing i've ever done but there is no turning back now!) So there is the update of why I haven't hardly left my house in 6 weeks! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment